Translate

Monday, May 16, 2005

DRM - Battle two

Apparently the new Dave Matthews disk is "protected" in some way on Windows systems (details). However Linux wins this one for me. I jammed it in my Mandrake/Mandriva box. Fired up my trusty copy of Grip and moments later had a directory of beautiful .OGG files.

Sad to see this happen though. Even though DRM didn't cause me any problems personally - in this instance - Stand Up still will probably be the last Dave Matthews disk I ever buy. See Dave, DRM works! Nothing protects your rights like treating your honest paying customers like criminals and keeping them from listening to your music! I guess if you piss off your customers and don't sell any CDs there isn't anything for anyone to steal - DRM wins again!

Tell Dave what you think - fanmail@davematthewsband.com

No comments: